“Childbirth class? I’d rather learn about what to do with a baby after it comes!”
I’ve heard these things a lot since I started my journey as a childbirth educator and while I do offer Baby Basics classes and ongoing support for parents after the baby is born, I also know the importance of pre-natal classes too.
While it is true that birthing is one of the most natural things a woman will do, there are many good reasons to take a childbirth preparation class in addition to learning all about what to do with your baby when you bring them home. Whether you are determined to labor medication free or you’re ready to be hooked to an epidural right now, childbirthing classes will benefit you. You will gain:
- Power: The information you will get about the stages and changes your body will go through in labor will add to your knowledge and there is no greater tool than knowledge to make the birth experience better for everyone.
- Understanding: You and your partner will learn about yourselves and each other and what your needs during labor may. A birth class is a safe environment to communicate and delve into your expectations and fears in order to better form a plan together.
- Camaraderie-you’ll be surrounded by other couples who know exactly what you’re going through. It’s never too early to start building your parent village.
- Relaxation: You’ll learn methods and practices for pain and stress management that will help during labor and may even make your final stages of pregnancy a bit more bearable.
- Resources: You will be given written information on birth, breastfeeding, and baby care to take with you for further reference. You’ll also be pointed in the right direction for finding information when you need it after baby comes home-including invitations to an on-going Moms’ Night Out information and support events.
- Relief: Knowing what to expect and seeing you are not alone will go a long way toward fighting the fears that can come with impending parenthood.
- Fun: After all no parent would survive without a little laughter so there will be plenty of that injected into the classes we offer at Right Hand Mom.
P.S. Looking for more parenting guidance and tips for self-care? Check out From Chaos to Calm a guided training to help you feel better in this tough season.