The lights went down, (after 4 hours of previews) the movie started, my kids leaned forward and almost immediately I was filled with an overwhelming desire to grab their hands and drag them out of the theater. The movie Beezus and Ramona started and here’s what happened:
- Middle kid causes trouble
- Dad loses job and struggles to find new one
- Mom and Dad fight over money
- Middle kid with incredible imagination pictures house being “taken away” by bank with giant crane
- Dad takes job he hates which means family must move from house they love
- Oldest kid tries to comfort middle kid but is secretly quite scared
Yeah. A little too close to home for my liking. I was literally sick to my stomach.
I stayed the course though and it was totally worth it. I mean who can argue with
- a sweet love story
- Josh Duhamel
- Sandra Oh as the teacher whose brief moments on screen might be the best of the movie
- the redemption (sort of) of middle child
- the following of dreams
- John Corbett
- another sweet love story-this time between the sisters
- a great ending
Did I mention Josh Duhamel? Yeah, he was in it and I almost forgot all the financial woes. I hope my kids did too. At the movies and in real life.
P.S. Looking for more parenting guidance and tips for self-care? Check out From Chaos to Calm a guided training to help you feel better in this tough season.