My kids, the boys especially, have inherited my lyrical proclivities so I learned the hard way that even if the song has a fun sound, like Sublime’s Wrong Way, they still listen to EVERY SINGLE WORD. Thus, I have my trigger finger ready to avoid songs with questionable content and or language (Don’t even get me started on Rihanna’s new S&M song. Ridiculous woman.) .
However, there are a few songs that no matter how many tough questions I may have to answer at songs’ end, I just can’t turn them off. They either bring me back to a time when life was simpler and I was busy taking my flat abs for granted or they are just plain old fun no matter how old I get.
In no particular order, here are five songs that might qualify me as an irresponsible parent:
1. Eminem’s Lose Yourself: All angry and angsty it makes me want to punch people or run, far. Grrr…
2. Usher and Ludacris Yeah: I might pull the car over to dance at any minute.
3. Mumford and Sons Little Lion Man: Sometimes the F word is the only appropriate choice
4. Pearl Jam’s Jeremy: The kids get so caught up in all the ooh oohs at the end they forget the school boy touched a breast.
5. Beastie Boys Anything off Liscensed to Ill: Girls is my favorite. The boys prefer this one.
P.S. Looking for more parenting guidance and tips for self-care? Check out From Chaos to Calm a guided training to help you feel better in this tough season.
I think taking Juliette to Zumba class every week is going to get me in trouble one day, both the moves she watches me do and the songs that are playing. All highly inappropriate for a 7 month old! : )