My kids, the boys especially, have inherited my lyrical proclivities so I learned the hard way that even if the song has a fun sound, like Sublime’s Wrong Way, they still listen to EVERY SINGLE WORD. Thus, I have my trigger finger ready to avoid songs with questionable content and or language (Don’t even get me started on Rihanna’s new S&M song. Ridiculous woman.) .
However, there are a few songs that no matter how many tough questions I may have to answer at songs’ end, I just can’t turn them off. They either bring me back to a time when life was simpler and I was busy taking my flat abs for granted or they are just plain old fun no matter how old I get.
In no particular order, here are five songs that might qualify me as an irresponsible parent:
1. Eminem’s Lose Yourself: All angry and angsty it makes me want to punch people or run, far. Grrr…
2. Usher and Ludacris Yeah: I might pull the car over to dance at any minute.
3. Mumford and Sons Little Lion Man: Sometimes the F word is the only appropriate choice
4. Pearl Jam’s Jeremy: The kids get so caught up in all the ooh oohs at the end they forget the school boy touched a breast.
5. Beastie Boys Anything off Liscensed to Ill: Girls is my favorite. The boys prefer this one.
P.S. Looking for more parenting guidance and tips for self-care? Check out From Chaos to Calm a guided training to help you feel better in this tough season.