My problem so far is that most recipes call for honey but if you buy good, organic honey it is a strong taste that I don’t favor. I switched to coconut oil, maple syrup (pure) and agave nectar. It seems to be sticky enough and not too sweet. If you hate coconut, never fear, the oil does not taste like it and The Husband, who does hate coconut, will back me up on that.
Here’s the combination I’ve come up with that I like best so far.
2 Cups Rolled Oats (I use Bob’s Red Mill but that’s your choice. Just not the quick cook kind.)
1/2 cup almonds (I crush mine in a chopper because I’m cheap. You could buy them slivered or cut.)
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 cup mixed dried fruits (I love Trader Joe’s. They’re still sweetened but not over sugary.)
1/8 cup flax seed
1/8 cup sunflower seeds
1/8cup wheat germ
1 Tablespoon Pure Maple Syrup
1Tablespoon Maple Flavored Agave Nectar
3 tablespoons coconut oil
Pinch (1/2ish teaspoon) cinnamon or Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Preheat oven to 350
- Melt Coconut oil over medium heat
- Mix all ingredients except fruit and spice in large bowl taking care to coat with oil and syrups
- Lay ingredients out on a baking sheet
- Sprinkle pie spice or cinnamon over top
- Cook for about 20-25 minutes taking out to stir every five or so minutes to keep oats from over-browning
- Take pan out, spread dried fruit over top and stir one last time on pan
- Allow to cool for 20-30 minutes
Serve this with yogurt for nutritious or creme fraiche or ice cream for delicious!
Stir in bowl
*I have used affiliate links in this post.
P.S. Looking for more parenting guidance and tips for self-care? Check out From Chaos to Calm a guided training to help you feel better in this tough season.