My children love shrimp. Since I have learned this I have been cooking it a lot in various ways. This recipe was adapted (heavily) from one I found in Good Housekeeping Magazine. That recipe was more a cold ceviche with chili peppers and mango. I knew neither of those things would fly so I took them out, added some feta and I cooked my ingredients for a short time instead of serving everything cold. This recipe could be served cold now that we’re hitting warmer months. I’m thinking it’s a keeper for dinners on the beach.
1 pound of shrimp deveined.
1T Olive Oil
2/3 C orange juice
1/4 C lemon juice
1/4 C lime juice
1/4 C unsweetened pineapple juice
3/4 C Feta cheese crumbled
1 C diced jicama
1/2 red onion
1/2 C FRESH cilantro
- Cook Shrimp and set aside
2. Chop red Onion in larger pieces
3. Chop Jicama into bite size pieces
4. Chop Cilantro into small slices
5. Chop cucumber and avocado
6. Next add juices to pot over medium heat. Followed with cucumbers, onions, shrimp, jicama and half of the feta. Cook just until warmed through-three to five minutes.
7. Remove from heat, add rest of feta and avocado slices.
8. Serve warm or refrigerate and serve chilled. If you refrigerate, save avocados until final serving.
P.S. Looking for more parenting guidance and tips for self-care? Check out From Chaos to Calm a guided training to help you feel better in this tough season.