I’ll admit, things have slowed down here a lot since I went back to work outside my house. There are plenty of things I miss about working from home, and writing on this blog is one of them. I have been hesitant to write about work though because I just felt like maybe it was unprofessional.
I mean folks got fired for it once upon a time. Although, they also got famous from it, so…
Seriously, yesterday was one of those work days that just went from bad to worse at such warp speed that the only thing you can do is laugh your pants off or else you might just cry. The good thing that came from it though is that I thought of a short list of things to write about, starting with things I never missed about the office.
- Large building climate control. So f
ar, it seems that the only no-fail thing about work is that however I dress, my office temperature will be the opposite. I’m either sweating at my desk, dressed in a huge sweater that I wore based on the fact that I was freezing the day before. The other option is the day after the sweltering heat, I dress in thinner layers only to have the heat never kick on. Luckily, I always have gloves with me so you just might catch me in a long sleeve t-shirt and gloves!
- Copiers: Find me the copy machine that works all the time every time and I will call you a miracle worker. Many a day I spent at my old job trying to find imaginary paper jams and opening and closing every drawer, door, lever on the damn machine that cost more than my annual salary. After yesterday afternoon where I was convinced I was on candid camera, it is clear my hate-hate relationship with copy machines continues!
- Office politics: Oh, what? Because we are all there doing “God’s work” you think the church is immune from work-place drama? Ha. Two words-Passion PLAY.
- Lights on a sensor…in the bathroom: I mean, it’s one thing to have to get up from your desk every 15 minutes and do jumping jacks to get some light backon. Some might even say that’s good for me. I draw the line at me sitting with my pants around my ankles in the pitch dark with no relief in sight. (See what I did there? Get it? I still got it.)
- Finally, the thing that I did not miss working from home is crap coffee. Unless I buy it at lunch, my only decent cup is the one I bring from home. Why is it that offices can’t brew a decent cup of joe?
Clearly, these are all small things to complain about and I’m mostly thrilled to have a job. It’s just that when they all hit in one day, it’s tough to remember why.
Here’s to a better Thursday!
P.S. Looking for more parenting guidance and tips for self-care? Check out From Chaos to Calm a guided training to help you feel better in this tough season.