When my kids ask for a meal, I know I’ve hit on something good. I’ve adapted this over the years from an old Weight Watchers recipe. I’m not sure a current point total because it’s from the old system, but everything is fresh and the sausage is chicken so I figure it can’t be all that bad! I use olive oil instead of cooking spray and I only cook in stainless or cast iron-never non-stick so there are some variations. This one is a whole family favorite. You could substitute spicy for mild sausage if your kids are more adventurous but I stick with mild so I don’t ruin a good thing.
1 pack organic Mild Italian Chicken sausage
1 yellow pepper
1 small onion
1 pack of polenta sliced thin
5 Kalamata olives
salt & pepper to taste
1 cup of marinara
1/2 cup water
- Preheat Oven to 400
- Slice and cook sausage in skillet. Set aside.
- Slice Polenta and place on cookie sheet. Spray lightly with olive oil. Bake in oven for 30-40 minutes flipping once in the middle.
- Chop onions, mushrooms, and pepper
- Cook onions in dutch oven or deep skillet over medium heat until softened
- Add in peppers and mushrooms until mushrooms get soft (about 2 minutes)
- Add in a pinch of fennel, sausage and salt and pepper to taste.
- Quickly stir in marinara and water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, add olives and simmer for about 5-10 minutes or until heated through.
- Remove polenta from oven and serve sausage ragu over three or four slices of polenta
P.S. Looking for more parenting guidance and tips for self-care? Check out From Chaos to Calm a guided training to help you feel better in this tough season.