My friend Pajama Mom does a weekly post entitled Sunday Confessions. I love it. She is hilarious and just a little brave to share little secrets of mommyhood. Yesterday, as I was doing the dishes and simply closed the swinging kitchen door and turned up the music to drown out instead of intervene my two fighting boys, I figured I had a little confessing to do myself.
So here is my list of dirty secrets. I know my kids might read this someday. I hope it is at a time when they are parents, so they can feel better about what they are too scared to confess.
1. I hate homework. I hated giving it as a teacher and I hate getting it as a parent. There are days when I want to tell my kid to skip it. I don’t, but I have told her I think it’s dumb.
2. The only reason I don’t smoke is because of the health effects it would have on my kids. I know it would kill me too, but if I weren’t a mom I probably wouldn’t care.
3. I think human flatulence (heck, any creature flatulence) is hilarious. Still. As a grownup. This leads to some squandered discipline opportunities in a house with two boys. Oops.
4. I spent the weekend with my single sister, in her apartment in a city. I dreamed for days that I had chosen that path because she only had herself to worry about and it seemed, well… dreamy.
5. I am sure I have scarred my children with the amount of times I have said out loud, “I quit this job.”
6. Sometimes my kids go too many days in between baths.
7. Having lived in both, I have learned I don’t want a big house until I can afford a maid.
8. I have always imagined I’ll be a widow; probably because that’s the mother-model I have. It causes some undue protecting of my heart that makes my husband an instant saint to put up with me.
9. I say I hate my mini-van. I want to hate my mini-van. But when I watch people try to carpool with SUVs which requires some creative contortion and flipping of kids over seats, I secretly can’t imagine driving anything else. Please don’t tell this to anyone.
10. I am constantly torn between wishing these days (of loud and needy young kids) away and wishing they’ll never end.
There are plenty more, but these are the ten that are on my list today.
I’d love to hear your confessions.
P.S. Looking for more parenting guidance and tips for self-care? Check out From Chaos to Calm a guided training to help you feel better in this tough season.
Crystal D says
I am only bathing my kids tonight because I am coming to see you tomorrow. If not, I would have waiting for Saturday. 🙂
pajama mom says
i hide from my kids
in the laundry room.
i say i'm folding clothes.
i am – but very slowly.
Aunt Julie says
Biggest confession – and I'm sure this will shock the hell out of all my friends & family – I wish I did have kids. Yes me the "I never wanted kids, I chose not to have kids" girl, has been lying all along. So there I said it out loud or at least wrote it down, I did want to be a mom just not a single one:)